Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY: Galaxy Shirt


close up of my galaxy shirt
Galaxy, galaxy, galaxy, why art thou so beautiful? I’ve made a galaxy print nail DIY before (HERE), here I have a DIY galaxy shirt. Are you excited for it? I know I was thrilled when I decided to make a galaxy print shirt myself. Galaxy print clothes have been around for ages and I’ve always wanted them. But the price keeps putting me off and knowing that it wouldn’t be too hard to DIY it, why pay the high price? Trust me, it’s really not that hard to make one yourself. Let me show you how I did mine :)


All you need is a simple black T, or any dark colored clothing item that you want to DIY. Of course, you’ll need some paint. I had some old bright blue acrylic paint laying around and I went ahead to Dollar Store and purchased a bottle of purple paint. I also had tons of black and white paint left from my DIY Striped Jeans (HERE), so I made use of them as well. Have some sponges and brushes ready to create your masterpiece. Lastly, grab some multicolored glitter from your local dollar store. I used silver and purple. Now we’re all ready!


Tip no.1, always have a picture of galaxy ready in front of you. I just googled one and used it as an example. You don’t have to make your print exactly like the photo, but it’s always helpful to have one example there so you have the general idea. Of course, you can always create your own design. It’s completely up to you.


Then, just grab your sponge and dip into purple paint and sponge it on. I like to use purple as a base and later on I would blend in white and blue so it has the blurred effect.


Tip no.2 Put some sort of card board inside of your shirt so the paint wouldn’t soak through it. You’ll probably need more than one coat of paint since lighter colors don’t show up very well on black shirt.

Just get creative and follow your example picture as a guide to create your own galaxy design. The thing I love about galaxy print is that it’s so forgiving. There’s no particular shape or color to it, the messier, the prettier.


Once you get the base color done and if you’re quite happy with your design, just add some finishing touches. I used a skinny brush to paint on some stars and randomly splattered some white paint over the shirt so it looks like clusters of stars. Those finishing touches really bring the whole look together. Lastly, sprinkle some glitter over the stars or wherever you feel like it.

I cut of the sleeves to give the shirt a more street-style vibe :P

more close up
By now, I’m sure you’re already happy with your design. Wait a couple of days for it to dry and wear it out proudly. When someone asks you where you get the shirt and I assure you someone will ask, tell them proudly that you make it! I’m sure they’ll be in awe of your talent when in fact, it was such a simple and fun process.
Get creative and have fun!

Stay Chic
Yolennie

18 comments:

  1. This is such a cool project. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the award! It means a lot!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem hun, you totally deserve it!

      Delete
  2. oh wow this is such a cool diy, love it!
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would you try it out maybe? :P

      Delete
  3. Hello! I just came across your blog, and I love it! I’ve decided to follow you! If you get a minute, I’d love to know what you think of my latest outfit post! While you’re visiting, follow along so we can keep in touch! :)
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) Thanks for following my blog and I totally love your latest outfit! <3

      Delete
  4. Such a fun DIY! Definitely need to try it out!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Definitely share it on your blog if you try it out! :)

      Delete
  5. So gorgeous! LOVE this look! This is amazing! Hugs from Cali! xx The Golden Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! You're so sweet <3

      Delete
  6. Hi im a guy and I want to try this would you reccomend using purple and pink still or is that kinda towards girls only

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I think galaxy print is quite unisex but if you really want it to be more masculine, try add more blue and silver and grey into it, maybe a bit more red too. Again, look for a pattern online that you like and go for it :)

      Delete
  7. Saw your blog & love it. Would love if you'd check out mine as well! :)
    www.loveolia.com
    Hope you will!

    Thanks so much,
    Olia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catching up on your posts since I've been out of town and this is by far one of my favorite DIY's of yours. The end result turned out so pretty! If you make another one, you can even add some rhinestones or the flat back Swarovski crystals to the center of the stars for even more sparkle.

    ReplyDelete