Saturday, February 9, 2013

DIY: Striped Jeans


I have seen those striped pants for a while now, and I was quite obsessed. I almost gave in and wanted to get a pair. But to be honest, I haven’t seen them in store that often and most of them are on-line. Although I love on-line shopping, I really think it’s quite troublesome to get pants off the internet with the sizes and everything. And if you live in Canada, you know how expensive shippings usually are. One day, it suddenly came to me that why don’t I just DIY them, all I need is a simple pair of black or white skinny jeans and some acrylic paint. It sounded easy enough and I am really impressed with how it came out so here goes the DIY process :)
 

First of all, you obviously need a pair of jeans or even leggings. But I prefer how the stripe looks on structured jeans which really elongate your legs. To add on that, it looks even better on high-waisted jeans. If you’ve seen the striped skinnies by Motel, I believe they’re really quite high-waisted.
by motel retail for £48
 
But of course, it all depends on your preferences. Then, you need some sort of white or black acrylic paint depending on the color of your jeans. Since I already had a pair of black semi-highwaisted  jeans on hand, I used white acrylic. Lastly, some brushes to paint on. Here I’m using some sponge brushes which you can get from practically anywhere. I got both my paint and brushes from the dollar store and they work perfectly fine. Nothing fancy!
 
 

I laid some newspaper on the basement ground since I don’t wanna get into trouble with my parents from ruining their perfect wooden floor :P Also, in order to get my stripes perfectly straight, I used some thick tape to cover the part of jeans that I wanna keep it black. Then, the labour starts. It is quite straight-forward, just dip your brush into the paint and paint it on. But since I was using black jeans, and I wanted my white stripes to be completely opaque, it was a really long process. I used two coats of paint. In the end, I decided to only paint one side of the jeans. To be honest, I quite like the result. A trick for you is to sponge it on. Press the brush into your jeans so the paint that’s already soaked by the sponge will transfer onto the jeans more easily. Really, that’s all you need to know.
end result!! yay :)

If you want some chic striped skinnies and the illusion of longer and straighter legs, why not try to DIY a pair? I promise it looks good and I got so many complements on them and nobody believed me that I made them myself. Trust me, if I can do it, everyone can do it :)

What do you think? Are you gonna try them out?

Stay CHIC
Yolennie

 

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I have to try this out. I was looking for affordable stripe jeans but this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great! :) think I'm going to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete